Thursday, October 14, 2010

Quick update!

Hey guys,

I am so sorry I have not posted in awhile! Dad is here for the rest of the week, so I've spent a lot of time showing him around, taking him out to eat (he loves eating in India!) and shopping. Also spent a lot of time just being at home. For those of you who don't know my Masi (Mom's sister who I am staying with) owns a shop that does cell phone recharges and makes xerox copies. I usually have been spending the afternoons there helping out or just watching the American TV channels :) I was more inspired to spend time there after one of the fellow Manav Sadhna staff told me that I should dedicate some time to helping in the family business while I am here. We took out around 900 copies one afternoon - took 3 hours straight - and I told my Mama (mom's cousin brother) that he's getting old so he can do all of the work sitting down and I'll stand at the copy machine - but boy after that my feet were killing me! And after all that work we made about 400 rupees - which is the equivalent of $8. But it is actually a lot of money for our store, yet in comparison thinking that me, my uncle, and my cousin spent 3 hours working and together made $8, not counting the cost of the paper, ink etc...obviously with the lower cost of living in India that amount isn't as outrageously low, but still!

Navratri is going on right now in India - this is a Hindu celebration of God in the form of a woman. Lots of dancing (garba) for 9 nights straight - they start around 10pm and go until 2, 3, 4am. It hasn't turned out to be as much fun as in the US - and obviously they are supposed to be better here. It's probably because I don't have a solid group of die-hard garba fans here like I do back home - that and all of the rocks that hurt your feet here compared to the nice polished gym floors in the states ;)

The last few days got a nasty cold - apparently it's normal around Navratri time because of all of the dust flying around. All I know is I have not had a cold this bad as long as I can remember! Nothing is helping...but hopefully the worst is over!

Alright guys - that's all I have for now. Next week expect more regular and hopefully more exciting updates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment