Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Masi's Birthday, Driving, Girl without Slippers

My Masi turned 50 on Sunday, but as many of you may know birthdays are most definitely not a big deal in India. So we picked up some pizza and had some cake, but nothing big. And so for my gift for her I wanted to do something meaningful rather than something she will think is a waste. So I surprised her and setup for us to go to visit a school, utthan. This school is for about 100 mentally handicapped kids and adults - there are teenagers and 50 year olds at the school. They teach basic values and principles (listening to your elders, following instructions) along with hands on work based on their mental state. They divided the students by mental status and gender. There were far fewer girls than boys. The ones that were more advanced were being taught how to make folders; others were playing games etc. We gave the kids chocolates and then left pencils, erasers, and napkins (hand towels) to give to them later. It was heart warming to see their innocence and excitement as you could imagine. One guy kept asking what time the cricket match was on. The teacher asked him - who won yesterday - he would tell him who it was, and then say well since the match is done there is not one today. The guy would say okay, walk away, and then come right back and ask what time the match is. After he established that it is over, he started asking when the kids were going to go for an outing and play cricket. Just seeing their innocence and their lack of worry - well you guys know me - it was a great birthday gift for my Masi and left me practically in tears.


I have also made an attempt to start driving a scooty here - a very small two-wheeler. Made a few rounds around the block. The brake needs to be fixed, so didn't get too far, but I got the hang of the balance part, it's the traffic that's tricky. Will keep you guys posted on any progress/injuries/near death experiences that I experience while attempting to become a true Indian ;)

Last story - so when I was sick last week, Barotbhai had the tuition class students at Jamalpur during prayer do 2 minutes of silence to send me good thoughts and wishes and hope for my fast and speedy recovery. After the kids found out about my being sick, one of the girls came up to Barotbhai and told him the next day that after she found out she decided that she will not wear slippers until I get better. And she stopped wearing slippers to school, tuition classes, everywhere. Barotbhai told her today when he saw her walking to class barefoot that I am 100% and she should go back to wearing slippers again. Now if I would have known the first thing I would have done is protest the concept of not wearing slippers - how unhygienic! But I was so moved by the girl's emotions. I don't even know her name or what she looks like (though she will be pointed out to me next time!) but the fact that she cared enough to give something up as a sacrifice and a symbol of her thoughts for me - again totally touching! I still cannot believe it. For those of you who aren't from India you have to understand that these are a group of people who believe that if someone sees you while getting a haircut you'll get sick (I kid you not one of the kids looked me in the eye and told me that today!). The fact that this girl thought that her not wearing shoes will balance out some sort of unequal karma in the world and make me better is a mystery, but a gesture that I will remember for a lifetime. The things these kids do for practical strangers - I wish I had that kind of thought would even cross my mind. I have much much more to learn from these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment