Thursday, August 19, 2010

Indepedence Day Celebrations!

India's Independence Day was this past Sunday, August 15th. The Anganwadi kids celebrated on Saturday the 14th at the community center. Their program had singing, dancing, and games.

The older kids celebrated on Sunday and their program had a flag ceremony, handful of speeches, songs, and dances.



Both programs were jam packed. The kids came dressed in their finest outfits truly had fun, as did I! Saturday afternoon I also went to the Saturday Special, which is at the ashram. Every Saturday from 4p-6p they have some sort of activity setup for the kids. This Saturday they did a quiz show on Indian history - and as you can all imagine, I learned a lot!

These celebrations and festivals are what bring the community together. It was really special to be a part of these celebrations with these kids making them enjoy and have fun just like any other kid - I had more fun than I do at such functions at home! And the kids were surprisingly well behaved and systematic - more than I can say for kids there!

No comments:

Post a Comment