Monday, August 2, 2010

Ram Rahim Tekro Survey and Hard of Hearing Ticket Counter Guy

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for not writing anything the last few days. I got sick, so I stayed home and rested, for 2 days and then the weekend, something I haven't done in a long time! But I'm feeling better now!

Today I started looking at the data from the survey they did on the residents of the Ram Rahim Tekro. It's actually really interesting and comprehensive. They surveyed almost 1000 homes. I currently have the data for 620. They got information on each person living in the home, and then asked questions about the household - electricity, toilet facilities, addiction to tobacco. Today I created an outline of what the report with this data should contain. I broke it up into categories and I hope to put in statistics on what we found from the homes and then a few lines on what Manav Sadhna can focus on in each area. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the data in a few days and can get the report ready.

On a different note, there was a new guy at the bus ticket counter today. The stop I go to is called the RTO circle. So I approached the counter and said "RTO." He said something back, which I heard to be "circle" so I said yes. Then I saw the screen show one ticket to Andhrajan Mangal, the Blind People's association stop. I told him, "oh, sorry, no RTO." The guy looks up at me and says, now if this was 1 second later, the ticket would already have been issued, then what? I said sorry. He continued: the fault is yours, you said the wrong stop, and then all you can say is sorry; what about the ticket I would have issued? I've been going to this stop for 2 weeks now, and I always go to RTO and somehow no one has had any issues hearing me - moreover, I can't even pronounce Andhrajan Mangal! But instead of telling him that he misheard and how dare he accuse me misspeaking, I simply replied, "well if that ticket would have been issued before I realized the mistake, I would have paid for both." I realized that was not the response that he expected and he was left speechless. I don't know if working with these inspiring individuals has humbled me, or if I have simply become more laid back, but it's in situations like these that we realize that not every battle has to be fought; sometimes you just have to let the other person win.

No comments:

Post a Comment