Sunday, August 29, 2010

Monthly Report, Meditation, Saturday Special

I spent a few days this week again translating the Gujarati monthly report at Jamalpur into English. It was much easier this time around having had done it once before! One of the days I was there, there was lots of commotion outside. I asked what was going on - turns out there was a family that lived there - husband, wife, and 4 year old son. The husband was an alcoholic, and wouldn't quit. Somehow the daily struggles prompted the husband and wife to both jump into the river and commit suicide - together. The story just doesn't sit right - how would both of them want to commit suicide? Moreover - what promoted them to finally agree on something in their life? And their poor son. Working with Manav Sadhna makes everything look much greener - this was a reminder into the reality that these large issues are still very prevalent in the slums despite what we see firsthand in the kids we work with. But we can only focus on the people whose lives we are affecting and their futures, we can't get caught up in everyone.

Virenbhai, one of the founders of Manav Sadhna does an amazing thing every year. He spends 3 weeks out of the year without speaking (maun). He spends most of his day meditating and praying. People come visit and sit with him. He will sing prayers, and listen to other people talk and reflect. I decided to go since this was his last week - and he lives really close to me. It was such a peaceful environment! A bunch of kids from the street school had come and were singing bhajans. It was truly amazing to sit with them - realizing the different people that were all gathered in meditation and peace. And what he does is truly amazing - no phone, internet, no leaving the house - remarkable!

Saturday we had the Saturday Special - they showed a video about Krishna since Janmastmi is next week. I got made fun of because I was watching the video more intently than the kids - but I don't remember the story as well as I would like so I was taking advantage of the opportunity! But when I was leaving I realized that someone left with my slippers - and they weren't even mine, they were my Masi's! I figured it's no big deal - someone else will hopefully enjoy those shoes - but now I have to be extra careful about hiding my shoes when there are hundreds of kids around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment