Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ram Rahim Survey Report Complete

I was supposed to go to the Leper community today. We didn't go, however, because there was lots of rain last night so there would have been water flooding various streets, making access a problem. I didn't get a call about the cancellation until 10 minutes before I was supposed to be picked up; I didn't answer the call until I was at Manav Sadhna (no pockets, rain). It's going to take some effort to get used to the last minute, not on time nature of India!

I went home and then went to the Ram Rahim Tekro to finish the survey report. We talked about different campaigns and priorities to set for the community based on the results and what was already in the works. They have made a lot of progress when it comes to education, skill development, and community building. Health and health awareness is lacking the most, which is exciting for me, because I feel like I have the skills and knowledge to make an impact in that arena - or at least get the ball rolling. The main things needed are regular check-ups, family planning, and addiction education. There is lots of need for basic awareness, which is exactly what public health is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment