Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Basanti's follow-up visit...sort of

Today was very very tiring! Let me just say that it's not super hot yet, and doesn't even feel too bad, and then you feel sweat trickling from places you did not know you had pores, and you are now conscious of the temperature! This is new for me, but I'm getting used to it...that and showering 3 times a day...you don't even have to use the water heater because the water comes from the roof and it's hot enough on it's own!

So Basanti managed to somehow break a hole in the heel of her cast...it was so it was easier for her to walk...also something she is not supposed to be doing. You can tell she is a bit mischievous. Anyways, it was a long day getting them from the train station, waiting for things to get started at the hospital since it was 8am, going to the outpatient clinic (OPD), cutting in line, which I am morally against, but lugging around a 3 year old with a 2 kg cast I didn't feel so bad. The doctor asked why she broke the cast and that doesn't she understand that without the cast the correction won't get made...I looked at him, speechless, then replied that she is 3 so she doesn't understand anything more than play and fun, and he's like well she should know better. I was trying to not argue, laugh, or punch the guy...wasn't sure which emotion! Then we took her to get a mold made for a scoliosis cast...she was not happy having to lie on the table...her parents were not with us, just her older sister (who was 10) so she was all over upset! After that I got them settled in the ward to wait for the doctor who would change her cast and went home to shower and eat. They called me earlier than expected and said the doctor was ready to change the cast...of course the one time things happen on time. So I rushed back, we had to buy the bandages since the hospital was out (sounded shady but we went with it). The doctor had me help since no one else was there, and Basanti was not happy to let anyone near her, period. It was really easy and I couldn't understand why he was so pompous and arrogant about doing such a simple task (he was really rude to the RMF worker with Basanti before I came about following his instructions and not asking questions). But it got done with lots of plaster on me, but that works, I felt like I was back home, except plaster is better than spit and other such items. We got everyone food, and got them to the station. Basanti knew the minute she was done because her all day pasted frown was all smiles. Amazing how much children know and understand. Knowing I'm helping such poor children get something that is so simple yet will offer them something so great like the ability to walk makes all of the cranky doctors and buckets of sweat worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment