Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Street School Education Curriculum; India vs. Pakistan Match

I spent a couple hours today reviewing my ideas on the Street School Value-Based Education Curriculum that Maheshbhai is putting together. He emailed me a list of 22 values (respect, compassion, waste etc etc) and asked me to come up with activities to do to teach them. I had to think back to elementary school when we used to actually do fun activities...then also did some google searches to think of ideas. I think I got in a good variety - my list is very Western education like - lots of partner/group stuff and lots of crafts and drawing. But I think it provided a contrast to what the teachers here can offer to add so I think we work well together in this brainstorming. We spent 2 hours of me reading and explaining my activities and Maheshbhai translating...it was fun to have him on the other side of that! There was some minor complaining on his part of his hand cramping, how long it will take him to type this etc...I just smiled and told him he's telling the wrong person!

While I was doing this I got a call from my Masi reminding me to not go anywhere...the India vs. Pakistan cricket match is today (the World Cup) so basically everything in closed, and there is (as always) a fear of riots breaking out here in Ahmedabad. She was worried since I wasn't home on time that I went into the city. It seems that there is always a threat of riots in Ahmedabad...they even called in police from other states for today! So crazy...it's like a curfew outside, everyone is at home watching TV. This should be an interesting experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment